Once Upon a Time

The sharing of stories is how we communicate and so people are born loving stories. Stories bring us together and foster community, understanding and culture through their telling. As story tellers we have all seen the power of stories and we are all on the look out for new material. This blog has been setup to foster sharing amongst story tellers so please feel free to use any material here and share your stories with others by e-mailing me.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Caloundra, Queensland, Australia

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

What's in Fox's sack

Fox was digging around the roots of a tree. Up flew a bumblebee. “Bzzz”.
Fox grabbed the bumblebee and put it in his sack. “Bzzzz.”
Off went fox, with the bumblebee in his sack. He came to a tall house. Inside the tall house was a tall woman. “May I leave my sack here while I go visit my friend Squintum?” asked the fox.
“Of course you may,” said the tall woman.
“You won’t look in it, will you?” asked Fox.
“Of course not,” said the tall woman.
The tall woman waited for one, two, three, four, five minutes, until:
“I can’t bear it,” she cried. “I must know what is in fox’s sack.”
She opened the sack. Out flew the bumblebee. The tall woman’s chicken (duck, whatever) chased the bumblebee away.
Fox came back. He felt his empty sack. Where is my bumblebee!”
“Oh, dear Fox, my chicken chased it away.”
“Your chicken chased my bumblebee, so I take your chicken.”
Fox put the chicken in the sack, and off he went. He came to a small house. Inside the small house was a small woman.
x (etc, etc, etc . . . )
She opened the sack. Out flew the chicken. The small woman’s horse chased it away. (etc, etc…)
Fox put the horse in the sack and off he went. He came to a thin house. Inside the thin house was a thin woman.
x (etc, etc, etc . . . .)
She opened the sack. Out jumped the horse. The thin woman’s son/daughter chased it away.
(etc, etc, etc . . . .)
Fox put the boy in the sack, and off he went. He came to a round house. Inside the round house was a round woman.
(etc, etc to “You won’t look in it, will you”.
“Of course not,” said the round woman - and she didn’t. She was baking gingerbread. The smell was delicious. The boy in the sack could smell it. “May I please have some gingerbread?” he cried.
“My goodness,” said the round woman.
“What has naughty fox been up to this time?” She opened the sack and helped the boy out. Then she called to her dog, and had him jump into the sack. Then she tied it up again.
When Fox came back he felt the sack.
He felt something move inside. “Good,” he said, “my lunch is still there.”
Off he went, into the woods, to have his lunch. “Come out, boy,” he growled, opening the sack, “for I am hungry, and “—“
The dog jumped out. Fox yelped. Dog barked. Fox ran, far, far, away. Dog went home, and got the biggest piece of gingerbread. As for Fox - he’s still running.

Courtesy of Jo Jensen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home